The film adaptation of Martin Amis’ novel London Fields has been mired in controversy for years. It started in 2015, when star Amber Heard and other members of the cast and director refused to support it, claiming that producers had inserted unsavory sex scenes featuring Heard’s body double.
Earlier this year, producers slapped Heard with a $10 million lawsuit alleging that her refusal to promote the film breaches her contract. Heard is countersuing.
- In the latest development, the producers are throwing down the gauntlet, claiming that Heard’s estranged husband Johnny Depp was so jealous of the sex scenes, it created problems on-set and even ultimately helped lead to their divorce.
- In the court papers, the producer allege that "the provocative nature of Heard’s femme fatale role in the film was a factor leading to her divorce from Depp."
- The producers claim that his intense pressure on Heard forced her to reverse course and opt out of doing the sex scenes she had initially agreed to do.
- Depp, who had a small role in the film himself, allegedly dragged Heard’s co-star Billy Bob Thornton into the mess too, Page Six reports.
- The suit says, "Heard has made numerous fantastical accusations against Depp, and reports of her alleged affair with co-star Thornton became so pervasive that Thornton issued a public denial."
In the wake of the tragic terrorist attack at Ariana Grande’s concert in Manchester, the world is grappling with ways to help. Tom Hardy launched a fundraiser for the victims, and clearly people are more than willing to help because donations have already exceeded his initial goal.
The 39-year-old set a target of 15,000 pounds for the British Red Cross, writing on the JustGiving page: "I am hoping to raise money for The British Red Cross Society because the families and children will need support."
- "What happened last night at the Ariana Grande concert in Manchester was a tragedy; families and children attacked and murdered; in a place where they should be safe and enjoying a concert," the actor wrote. "It is an inconceivable atrocity. There is no bringing back those who have been lost, pointlessly, in such a cowardly and brutal fashion. I am truly saddened by what I have witnessed and there is no doubt that Terrorism is an evil thing."
- "I hope between us we can raise some funds as a gesture of goodwill and love to help in some small way towards repairing some if any of the damage done in the wake of last nights events," he added.
Jamie Foxx revealed that Oprah Winfrey staged a star-studded intervention for him that he says ultimately saved his career.
Foxx, 49, told Howard Stern that after the 2004 biopic Ray was released and he earned an Oscar nod, Winfrey called him to tell him that he was "blowing it." He admits that he was out "gallivanting" and partying at that time.
- To get him back on track, she staged an intervention with several legendary black actors, including Quincy Jones and Sidney Poitier.
- Foxx explains: "We go in the house and there are all these old actors. Black actors from the ’60s and the ’70s. Who look like they just want to say, ‘Good luck.’ They want to say, ‘Don’t blow it.’" :
- He said his conversation with Poitier had the most impact on him. He told Foxx: "I want to give you responsibility. When I saw your performance in Ray, it made me grow two inches."
- Foxx ultimately won an Oscar for Ray, only the third black actor to do so at the time.
AUDIO: JAMIE FOXX ON OPRAH INTERVENTION
The Modern Family actress Sarah Hyland does not appreciate all of the input on her weight.
She is fighting back against speculation that she is anorexic after posting a shot of herself looking especially thin.
- Hyland, who also stars in the ABC Dirty Dancing reboot which premiered Wednesday, posted a series of notes on Twitter ahead of the show.
- "No, that's not Photoshop, those are my legs, those are my arms," Hyland wrote in a note she shared on social media. "I write this because I've been accused of promoting anorexia, in, ironically enough, an anti-bullying post. And I want young girls to know that's not my intention."
- The 26-year-old did not allude to specific health issues, but she has grappled with kidney disease in the past and even had a transplant in 2012 with an organ her father donated.
- "I haven’t had the greatest year. Maybe one day I’ll talk about it but for now, I’d like my privacy," she wrote. "I will say that this year has brought a lot of changes and with that, physical changes."
- She admits that she doesn’t love the way she looks right now. "It's never fun to look in the mirror and see your hard work at the gym fade away or have your legs be the size of one's arms."
- Still, Hyland is staying positive. "Don't let other people's comments alter any part of you," she said. "Love and positivity is what we need most. Especially at a time like this."
Fighting back tears, Rosario Dawson spoke out for the first time about finding her cousin dead in her home. On May 11th, the 38-year-old walked downstairs and discovered her 26-year-old cousin Vanez Ines Vasquez was unconscious.
She called the paramedics, but they were unable to revive her, and she was pronounced dead at the St. John’s Medical Center in Santa Monica. Vasquez’s death was reportedly due to natural causes. She had been suffering from severe headaches and hypertension.
- Dawson didn’t immediately address the loss directly.
- "I've been dealing with a lot of loss lately and reconnecting with my family and my friends in a different way. I'm realizing how much I've pulled myself back, and I've been just really humbled by this opportunity tonight," admitted Dawson. "They're giving me an award and it's recognizing all of the achievements and things I've done with the organization, which is amazing. And I'm humbled by those achievements, but I'm also really humbled by my failures."
- Dawson was speaking Wednesday night in L.A. on AOL’s BUILD series on behalf of The Lower Eastside Girls Club of New York. She went on to say that after losing her cousin she realized she should "never take anything for granted."
- Dawson then went on to discuss her cousin’s loss and describes how it is reshaping her life.
- "Even as I'm going through a really emotional and stressful time in my life, I was so grateful to get on the plane to come here today and be here with all of you and celebrate what we have to celebrate, because that's super important. And it's too easy to kind of go down the wormhole—the rabbit hole—and think about the stuff that didn't happen," Dawson continued. "My cousin just died, Vaneza, and I'm coming up on the six-year anniversary of my grandmother's passing. And from 75 to 26, you just don't know when your time is. And I just don't want to be in any kind of position where I'm looking back going, 'I should've, could've, would've, didn't, damn!'"
SONY GRABS RIGHTS TO LIAM NEESON VEHICLE THE SILENT MAN: Sony Pictures Classics has nabbed North American rights to the Watergate-focused film The Silent Film in which Liam Neeson portrays the infamous figure Deep Throat. The Peter Landesman-helmed movie depicts of Mark Felt (a.k.a. Deep Throat), the longtime FBI #2 man under J. Edgar Hoover, and the whistle-blower on the Watergate scandal that toppled the Nixon administration.
SUITS CREATOR AARON KORSH SIGNS NEW DEAL WITH UNIVERSAL: Suits creator and exec producer Aaron Korsh has inked a two-year overall deal with Universal Cable Productions, which is behind the USA hit drama Suits. The deal has Korsh returning as Suits showrunner for its seventh season and developing a Suits spinoff starring Gina Torres as her character Jessica Pearson. He will also develop new projects.
WOMEN-ONLY WONDER WOMAN FILM SCREENING ENGRAGES SOME: A women-only screening of DC’s Wonder Woman in Austin, Texas sold out within hours, and the movie theater is already planning another. Not everyone’s pleased though. After announcing the screening, the Alamo Drafthouse’s Twitter feed and Facebook page were flooded with accusations of "reverse sexism" and "misandry." What say you? Should a women-only screening be stopped or is it harmless?
THE MUMMY PREMIERE CANCELED IN LONDON: Universal has canceled the London premiere for The Mummy in the wake of the Manchester terrorist attack. "All of us at Universal have been devastated by the terror attack in Manchester and continue to stand with the community and country as it recovers. Out of respect to those affected by this tragedy we have decided not to move forward with the London premiere for The Mummy scheduled to take place next week," Universal said in a statement. The premiere was scheduled for June 1st. The Mummy, starring Tom Cruise and Sofia Boutella, is slated for U.S. release on June 9th.
STUDY FINDS LGBTQ CHARACTERS UNDER-REPRESENTED: Hollywood studios have failed to accurately represent the LGBTQ community, according to GLAAD’s 2016 Studio Responsibility Index. Inclusion of nonwhite characters is faltering as well, with mainstream movies showing 5.5% fewer nonwhite characters year-over-year. The study shows only 18.4% of 125 movies released contained roles with people identified as LGBTQ characters. GLAAD called out movies that it claimed perpetuate stereotypes. Especially harsh criticism was directed at Sacha Baron Cohen’s The Brothers Grimsby, Kevin Hart’s Ride Along 2, Dirty Grandpa and Central Intelligence for offensive humor. Do you think Hollywood’s depictions of the LGBTQ community have gotten better or worse?