After getting raked over the coals for a planned town hall tour this summer, Bill Cosby and his lawyer Angela Agrusa say the speaking tour will not move forward.
First, the talks were billed as educational seminars on sexual assault, and then they were billed as general town halls designed to restore his "legacy." The latest is ... they will not happen at all.
- Agrusa told the New York Daily News that Cosby "will not be speaking about sexual assault" at town halls this summer.
- Asked if he will take the stage at an appearance in Alabama next month as his spokesperson Andrew Wyatt claimed last week, she said: "I don't imagine there will be (a town hall). I think he would like to be able to publicly perform. I just don't think the timing is right."
- She was speaking outside of a courthouse in Santa Monica after a judge set a July 2018 date for Judy Huth’s child sex assault trial against the 79-year-old.
- Huth has accused the comedian of forcing her to perform a sex act on him at the Playboy Mansion in 1974 when she was 15.
- Cosby is reportedly "resting and recouping" in Pennsylvania after a mistrial was declared in the trial on charges that he drugged and assaulted Andrea Constand in 2004.
- Cosby himself spoke out too, issuing a statement through Wyatt on Tuesday.
- "The current propaganda that I am going to conduct a sexual assault tour is false," Cosby said. "Any further information about public plans will be given at the appropriate time."
Turning the tables. DeMario Jackson, who was accused of sexually assaulting his fellow contestant Corinne Olympios while cameras were rolling on Bachelor in Paradise is now saying she was the "aggressor."
In a three-part interview with E! News, Jackson said that she initiated their sexual encounter, moving them from the bar to the pool.
- "Things got wild because it was more her being the aggressor, which was sexy," he said. "When you have a very attractive girl telling you what she wants, it's like a very, like, 'Wow, OK! This is hot. ... I like it.'"
- He continued: "She gets up out of the pool and puts her lady parts right on my face."
- Jackson added that the next day, they both had breakfast with other cast members and discussed the previous evening.
- While he did claim Olympios was the instigator of their encounter, he also went to bat for her, decrying the racist and sexist reaction their encounter engendered.
- "The minute you release this black man's face and this white girl's face, before either of us commented on it, I was already a ‘rapist,’" he told E! News, adding that Olympios was labeled a "whore" and "slut."
- "They were slut-shaming her because of what she did last season with Nick Viall. For me, it goes back to the human race. We failed," he said.
- Olympios has only spoken out once since Warner Bros. shut down production over concerns over sexual misconduct. In a statement, she referred to herself as a "victim" and said she had hired a lawyer. After an internal investigation that absolved the show and the cast members of wrongdoing, production on the show has resumed, although Olympios and Jackson will reportedly not return to the set.
- Meanwhile, producers aren’t taken any risks on-set. They have imposed new drinking rules for the cast, TMZ reports.
- Producers will allow a max of two drinks per hour per cast-member, according to the gossip site. Crew members and bartenders will also be responsible for making sure nothing gets out of hand and food will be available at all times.
ALEC BALDWIN CONFIRMS RETURN TO SNL: Alec Baldwin isn’t ready to retire his role impersonating President Donald Trump just yet. The 59-year-old confirmed that his portrayal of the president will pop up on Saturday Night Live again this fall, telling CNN: "We're going to fit that in. I think people have enjoyed it." His busy schedule will keep the appearances to a minimum, he adds. Will you tune in to see Baldwin impersonate Trump on SNL?
KENDALL JENNER WINS AUNT OF THE YEAR: North West may be a four-year-old girl, the prime target of the pink princess market (and an avid consumer, judging from copious social media evidence), but her aunt Kendall Jenner wants more for her. Now mind you, when Kim Kardashian and Kanye West’s daughter turned four last week, there was plenty of sparkly pomp and circumstance. She went swimming with a mermaid at her joint birthday party with cousin Penelope (Kourtney’s daughter), got some amazing clothes from her parents’ fashion line The Kids Supply, hit up Disneyland to frolic in pink gowns and tiaras. But thanks to Jenner, she also got a Science craft book. Because mermaids are cool, but STEM? That’s where the future is. What kinds of gifts do you buy for the little girls in your life?
STEVE CARELL IS GLAD YOU THINK HE’S HOT: Over the weekend, the Internet took notice of Steve Carell after photos of him out and about in London (and looking hotter than ever) went viral. Carell is taking his newly minted heartthrob status in stride. At the premiere of Despicable Me 3 in L.A. he told Entertainment Tonight: "I am so sick of people just looking at me for my physical attributes. It’s just genetic! There’s nothing I can do."
KIM KARDASHIAN IS MOM-SHAMED ON FACEBOOK: Kim Kardashian got seriously mom-shamed after posting a photo on Facebook of her son Saint West in a car seat. Critics were quick to point out that he appeared to facing forward, instead of toward the seat, which is advisable for children ages 2 and under. One critic wrote: "He's very cute, but it would be safer for him to be back-facing in his seat." Should everyone butt out of how Kim puts her child in his car seat or do the critics have a point?
MARGOT ROBBIE USES FANNY & NIPPLE CREAM ON HER LIPS: Suicide Squad star Margot Robbie has unveiled an unusual beauty hack. Bepanthen Ointment, used to protect fannies from diaper rash and breastfeeding mothers’ nipples from cracking, also pops up on the A-lister’s kissers. She tells Elle: "I have a conspiracy theory that lip balms actually have additives in them to dry your lips out so you keep buying them. But because Bepanthen is just a cream for dry skin, it works. It’s what I’ve used my whole life."
DUCK DYNASTY’S SADIE ROBERTSON ‘GRATEFUL’ AFTER SCARY ENCOUNTER: Duck Dynasty’s Sadie Robertson says she was recently trailed by three men in a white van. She shared her frightening encounter on Instagram, saying they began trailing her at the mall. Robertson wrote: "Tonight was a very frightening night. I walked out into the parking garage and saw a white van parked beside my car with 3 men that had been previously been following me in the mall. You hear this story all the time... I won't go into the details of mine." She concluded saying she is "thankful to be able to have joy knowing I'm protected in the shadow of God's wing" and encouraged her fans to be aware of their surroundings.
The families of two California teens who committed suicide days after watching Netflix’s 13 Reasons Why for their deaths.
Bella Herndon, three days shy of 16, and Priscilla Chui, 15, didn’t know each other. The teens, who had battled depression, watched the show around the same time in April and died just four days apart.
- The two teens were based in the Bay Area. Bella was a straight-A student who dreamed of being a writer, but had been bullied since middle school. Priscilla lived with her uncle and her grades had slipped in the months prior to her suicide.
- "It’s very graphic, especially the two-minute scene where she slits her wrists in a bathtub," Peter Chui, Priscilla’s uncle, told KTVU. "I feel it’s dangerous for that small percentage of young adults who the show can become a trigger for them and I feel as if the show gives only one alternative for cyber bullying and other teenage issues."
- The show, produced by Selena Gomez, is based on Jay Asher’s bestseller of the same name. Critics say the show glamorizes suicide while Gomez and others have defended it, saying that it is helping create a dialogue for young people who are struggling with depression and their parents.
- "I think that stuff is uncomfortable for people to talk about, but it is happening and hopefully it opened the door for people to actually accept what's happening and actually go and change it, talk about it," she said in an interview earlier this month with Elvis Duran on Z100.
- In May, Netflix issued a statement saying it would strengthen advisory warnings before the show in response to the uproar from concerned parents and educators.
- Responding to criticism from these families, Netflix issued a statement saying: "Our hearts go out to these families during this difficult time. We have heard from many viewers that 13 Reasons Why has opened up a dialogue among parents, teens, schools and mental health advocates around the difficult topics depicted in the show. We took extra precautions to alert viewers to the nature of the content and created a global website to help people find local mental health resources."
- A second season of 13 Reasons Why was confirmed for pickup in May.
- "Don’t go through with the renewal for the second season of 13 Reasons Why," John Herndon, Bella’s father, told KTVU. "Stop this. This is wrong. You’re making money off the misery of others."
Actress and model Miranda Kerr has handed over a reported $8.1 million in jewels that the U.S. says was given to her as part of a Malaysian money-laundering scheme, her spokesperson said Tuesday.
The Victoria’s Secret stunner was gifted diamond pendants, earrings and other baubles in 2014 by Malaysian financier Jho Low, according to a civil suit filed on June 15th by the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Kerr is not being accused of any wrongdoing.
- "The transfer of the jewelry gifts from Ms. Kerr's safe deposit box in Los Angeles to government agents was completed on last Friday afternoon," the spokesperson said in a statement.
- The gift was part of an alleged conspiracy to launder money intended for the 1Malaysia Development Berhad fund, set up by Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak to foster economic development in 2009, the Justice Department’s suit alleges. More than $4.5 billion was pilfered by 1MDB, according to the Justice Department.
- Actor Leonardo DiCaprio is also involved in the scandal and has returned artwork worth $12 million given to him by financiers connected to the case.
Lindsay Lohan is joining the crew of celebrities (led by Gwyneth Paltrow and the Kardashians) capitalizing on the public’s curiosity about their lives and lifestyles by launching her own pay-to-peek website.
Lohan, 30, announced on social media Tuesday that she is debuting the Preemium to give fans access to her life, beauty secrets and lifestyle tips – for $2.99 a month.
- "I am in a period of renewal and that’s why I deleted all my posts from Instagram," she explained on her first post to the site, according to People, while telling fans on Twitter to "come see what I’m really up to."
- Fans can expect to see "personal diaries, video updates, exclusive personal photos, breaking news, fashion and beauty tutorials, shopping guides, behind the scenes content and much more."
LAUREN GRAHAM AND JAMES VAN DER BEEK TO STAR IN VAMPIRINA: Gilmore Girls’ Lauren Graham and Dawson’s Creek’s James Van Der Beek are sinking their teeth into juicy new roles on Vampirina. The Disney Junior animated series is inspired by the Vampirina Ballerina book series by Anne Marie Pace. Graham and Van Der Beek will voice Oaxana and Boris Hauntley, the parents of the show’s titular character. Isabella Crovetti will voice the young protagonist as she grapples with a move from Transylvania to Pennsylvania. The show is set to premiere this fall.
KEVIN BACON VEHICLE TREMORS GETS PILOT ORDER: Kevin Bacon is gearing up to reprise his role as Valentine McKee in a Tremors TV reboot. Syfy has ordered a pilot for the potential series, according to Variety. The show will focus on residents of Perfection, Nevada who have to defend themselves against worm-like underground creatures. Bacon will executive produce. Think this reboot has legs?
DEADPOOL 2 OFFICIALLY UNDERWAY: Ryan Reynolds shared the news that the highly anticipated sequel Deadpool 2 has started shooting. "The sun sets on day 1. Feels good to be back. This dog can hunt," Reynolds wrote on Instagram. Deadpool 2 will drop June 1, 2018.
JONATHAN FRAKES TO DIRECT STAR TREK REBOOT: Jonathan Frakes is beaming back into the Star Trek universe. The former Commander William T. Riker from Star Trek: The Next Generation and several Trek films will direct an episode of the CBS show’s first season Discovery. He directed several episodes of TNG, Deep Space Nine and Voyagers, as well as the Trek films First Contact and Insurrection. Discovery stars Sonequa Martin-Green, Michelle Yeoh, Jason Isaacs, Doug Jones and Anthony Rapp.