Time Magazine has released its annual list of the world’s most influential people. The magazine writes that the Time 100 is not just a measure of power and milestones, but a consideration of the, yes, influence the recipients had on culture in the past year.
The list, of course, also recognizes political leaders, from Donald Trump to Kim Jong-Un; athletes, including Adam Rippon and Chloe Kim, and cultural leaders, including #MeToo founder Tarana Burke. In the entertainment space, the list is wildly diverse, covering many ages and ethnicities.
- Four of the six covers featured women: Tiffany Haddish, Nicole Kidman, Jennifer Lopez and Tarana Burke. This year, a record 45 people on the list are under 40, including Time 100’s youngest-ever designee, the 14-year-old Strangers Things star Millie Bobby Brown.
- Also on the list are Roseanne Barr, in recognition of her ratings-topping reboot of Roseanne, superhero game-changer Wonder Woman star Gal Gadot, Jimmy Kimmel, Issa Rae, Trevor Noah, Ryan Coogler, Greta Gerwig, John Krasinski, and Hugh Jackman.
- Each honoree gets their own entry, written by a celebrity, describing their contributions. A few notable snippets:
- Regarding Barr: "She is using her art to address relevant social issues, just as she has always done," fellow actress and comedienne Rosie O'Donnell, a staunch liberal who opposes Trump, writes. "There has been much said about her love of the current President. Although I don't understand it in any way, I love her still. I have seen the indefensible tweets from her macadamia-nut farm—and I forgive her."
- Regarding Gadot: "She is a wife and mother; she has served her country, traveled the world, and is hardworking, loving, wise, goofy and full of humanity," Lynda Carter, who played Wonder Woman in a '70s TV series, writes. "Wonder Woman has helped transform how women and girls see themselves since she emerged on a TV show in 1975. She represents what we know is inside every one of us: fierce strength, a kind heart and incredible valor. Gal understood and captured the spirit of this complex, independent, fully feminine persona. I applaud her for all of her success."
- Regarding Haddish: "I found out she was homeless and living in that car. I didn’t know the details of her life at the time, but I knew she had talent, I knew she had drive, and I wanted to help. So I reached into my pocket, and I pulled out $300—it was all I had with me. Then I handed it to her and said, ‘I think you’ll find a purpose for it,’" Kevin Hart writes in Time. "Now Tiffany is bringing a whole new level of fresh to the comedy scene. She’s just so authentic and unfiltered."
Tiffany Haddish’s success … is kind of like a sperm's flight? Leave it to the Girls Trip star to share what could have been an off-putting analogy and make it seem downright charming.
The 38-year-old covers the latest issue W, and inside, she gets real about her successes and failures, and how her stint in the foster system and time homeless made her stronger.
- "In failure, there can be success. By that I mean you can learn what not to do. I find the funny in a lot of failures, because I’ve had enough of them," the Girls Trip star says. "But I am resilient, my soul is very determined. Ever since I was a little sperm, surrounded by all those other sperm that were stronger than me, had a longer tail than my tail, swam faster than me, I made my way through. I got knocked into other sperm—it was a battle, but I made it to the end."
- She also talks about her approach to getting snubbed in the Supporting Actress category at the Oscars this year.
- "I could have been mad," Haddish says. "But I would always rather try to be funny in any situation. Even when people are laughing at me in a mean way, I still feel some kind of healing from it. When I get super-depressed, I’ll go on YouTube and look up ‘babies laughing’ just to change my mood."
DASH STORES ARE DONE: The Kardashian klan is shuttering its L.A. and Miami DASH stories after 12 years in business. Kim Kardashian said in a statement: "We’ve loved running DASH, but in the last few years we’ve all grown so much individually. We’ve been busy running our own brands, as well as being moms and balancing work with our families. We know in our hearts that it’s time to move on." She added, in a statement on her app per TMZ, "We have to give a special thanks to the DASH employees and all of the incredible fans and customers who have supported us throughout the years!" Are you sad to see them go? (TMZ)
JOHN STAMOS’ WIFE CAITLIN MCHUGH GAVE BIRTH IN 20 MINUTES: Have mercy! "My wife was so beautiful and so graceful through it all, like she does life. I mean, she just kind of breezed through," John Stamos told Entertainment Tonight of wife Caitlin McHugh’s labor. "I hate to tell women, but she did it in about 20 minutes. It happens so fast and then they were like, ‘Take pictures! Grab her leg!’ And then it was over, but it was just beautiful." Stamos, 54, and McHugh, 32 welcomed their son Billy Stamos last weekend. "I’m good. I’m a little tired. I think I’ve got a little poop on this suit," he joked, adding that he’s already sharing sweet moments with his newborn son. "I woke up this morning and I sang him ‘House at Pooh Corner,’ the Christopher Robin song," Stamos shared. "I started crying. It was great."
HARRY ANDERSON’S 911 TRANSCRIPT RELEASED: Night Court star Harry Anderson was dead before paramedics arrived, according to a 911 transcript obtained by TMZ. His wife Elizabeth Morgan placed the call to authorities in North Carolina he apparently went into cardiac arrest in his sleep. Morgan told the operator: "His hand -- he's cold. He's not ice cold, but he's definitely cold. His eyes are partially open, uh, but he's not looking at anything, he's not responding." Morgan also mentioned he’d suffered a series of strokes at the end of January after a bout of the flu. Anderson was 65.
DANCING WITH THE STARS’ ALAN BERSTEN REVEALS TUMOR: The 23-year-old Alan Bersten revealed a distressing (and unexpected!) diagnosis after getting tests for stomach pains he was suffering. "At first the doctors were like, ‘Oh, it’s probably not a big deal. You’re probably just taking some supplements,'" Bersten tells PEOPLE exclusively. "I went back on the road the next day, and my stomach stopped hurting." A week later though, he discovered that he had a tumor on one of his thyroid glands. "Just the word tumor is so frightening," he says. "I didn’t know what malignant or benign meant until I looked it up and I was like, ‘Well hopefully it’s benign — God forbid I have cancer.’ That is more stress than I could ever imagine. I think the scariest part was not knowing." Luckily, they were able to whisk him into surgery and the tumor was benign.
ANGELINA JOLIE WOWS FANS WITH EXPERT PILOTING: Renaissance woman Angelina Jolie impressed fans when she showed off another hidden talent: airplane flying! The 42-year-old was filmed piloting and landing a small plane over the Namibian desert in her ITV special The Queen’s Green Planet. In the new documentary, which also features Queen Elizabeth and Sir David Attenborough, she spends time in Namibia highlighting conservation. "What even is this show?! Attenborough, The Queen, and now Angelina Jolie just casually flying a plane. Is there anything she can’t do?" one fan tweeted.
JOHN TRAVOLTA PREFERS TO WORK WITH FRED DURST: John Travolta has worked with Quentin Tarantino and Oliver Stone, but his favorite director is … Fred Durst. The 64-year-old Pulp Fiction star is filming a thriller called Moose directed by the Limp Bizkit frontman, and he tells TMZ that it "may be my favorite experience I’ve had." He continued: "He’s so generous, and he’s such an artist. He allowed me to create a character that nobody else would allow."
It’s on! Kylie Jenner and Kourtney Kardashian are launching a makeup collaboration. Jenner has had huge success with Kylie Cosmetics. The brand earned her more than $420 million in just 18 months, according to reports.
Jenner announced her collaboration with sister Kardashian in a 39th birthday post to her. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE QUEEN," Jenner exclaimed in the caption of her post. "So excited to announce the KOURT X KYLIE collaboration. This collection gives me so much lifeeeee! 3 mini palettes & 3 of Kourtney’s signature lippies launching 4/24!" The pair are also both wearing the RAD shade of lipstick from the collection in the shot.
- Kardashian, natch, also shared the good news on her feed. "I am so excited to announce my collaboration with @kyliejenner. We have been working on this for a year…" Kardashian captioned her post. "Happy Birthday to me!"
- Jenner previously launched lipstick and palette collabs with sisters Kim and Khloe Kardashian. Next up, Kendall? TBD.
- Jenner also took to Snapchat to share adorable new shots of baby Stormi, whom she shares with Travis Scott. Stormi and Scott are featured in one video, with Stormi flashing a huge smile at Scott.
- Meanwhile, the cheating scandal involving Khloe and boyfriend Tristan Thompson rages on. On Wednesday night, the 27-year-old NBA star returned to the court for playoff games, but he was benched the entire time, according to reports.
- A day after Khloe gave birth to their daughter True (she gave birth April 10th) amid cheating allegations, Thompson was booed by fans when he took to the court.
- Some critics even held up signs slamming him for cheating on Khloe. Thompson is reportedly not staying in his Cleveland house, where Khloe and True are living. He has reportedly been in and out to visit.
On Thursday, the Bill Cosby sexual assault trial resumed with testimony from a drug expert.
Cosby's accuser, Andrea Constand, could have been made woozy by either Benadryl or Quaaludes, an expert for the prosecution testified. Dr. Timothy Rohrig, a forensic toxicologist, testified that the over-the-counter allergy drug can cause sedation.
- Last week, Constand testified that Cosby gave her three blue pills before he assaulted her. Cosby called the blue pills "your friends" and told her they would "help take the edge off."
- The 80-year-old is on trial for three counts of sexual assault against Constand. She is one of several dozen women who claim Cosby drugged and assaulted her, but only her case can be tried in court because of statute of limitations laws.
- She claims he drugged and assaulted her in 2004. He denies all allegations of nonconsensual sex. His first trial ended in a hung jury.
- Cosby’s lawyers argued prosecutors had not proved that he drugged or assaulted Constand. Judge Steven O’Neill rejected a defense motion to acquit Cosby and send jurors home in the afternoon.
- The morning was kicked off by O’Neill rejecting Cosby’s fifth attempt to have the retrial declared a mistrial on an alleged transgression by the prosecution team or its witnesses. This time, his team argued that the prosecution tainted the jury by suggesting that the defense team had coached their star witness, Marguerite Jackson.
- On Wednesday, Jackson testified that Constand confided that she wanted to frame a celebrity with a false accusation in the hopes of landing a big payday.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are making their interests and goals known as their May 19th nuptials loom. Suits alum Meghan, who has long spoken out for human rights of all kinds, arrived Thursday night with Harry at London’s Women Empowerment reception.
It’s their second event on the town this week as Commonwealth Heads of Government Meetings in the U.K. continue. Markle donned an elegant knee-length black dress and a sleek version of her controversial "messy bun." In February she spoke out about her desire to shine more light on women’s issues.
- "I hear a lot of people speaking about girls' empowerment and women's' empowerment," Markle said at the Royal Foundation Forum.
- She continued: "You’ll often hear people say well, you’re helping women find their voices. And I fundamentally disagree with that because women don't need to find their voices, they have a voice. They need to be empowered to use it, and people need to be encouraged to listen. And I think right now in the climate that we’re seeing so many campaigns—I mean, #MeToo and TimesUp—there's no better time than now to really continue to shine a light on women feeling empowered and people really helping to support them…It the spotlight makes such a tremendous difference."
- On Wednesday, per People, Meghan spoke to leaders of the Commonwealth, and called LGBT rights "a basic human rights issue, not one about sexuality."
- Royals have generally avoided political issues, but it looks like Meghan may shake things up. Not everyone is delighted with Meghan though.
- Days after her estranged half-sister Samantha took to Twitter to complain about not being invited to the wedding, her half-brother Thomas Jr. blasted her to the Daily Mirror.
- He opined: "She is giving the greatest performance of her life. She is acting phony. I've read that Meg wants to be like Diana. Diana was worshipped by everyone in the world. She was loved for the right reasons. That's what Meg wants, but I don't think that's going to happen. She's not genuine like Diana."
DENZEL WASHINGTON IS THE EQUALIZER: "The killed my friend," Denzel Washington says in the new trailer for Sony’s The Equalizer 2. "So I’m going to kill each and every one of them, and my only disappointment is I only get to do it once." Washington is returning in the role of Robert McCall, who Sony describes as a man who "serves an unflinching justice for the exploited and oppressed – but how far will he go when that is someone he loves?" The Antoine Fuqua-helmed film drops July 20th. (Deadline — Click our Twitter or Facebook buttons to share this link!)
DEADPOOL 2 RELEASES FINAL TRAILER: Ryan Reynolds packs some serious silliness into the last promo before the May 18th release of Deadpool 2. The sequel is a follow-up to the 2016 original, the highest grossing X-men film in history, with $783 million worldwide. The David Leitch sequel stars Zazie Beetz (Domino), Morena Baccarin (Vanessa), T.J. Miller (Weasel) and Stefan Kapicic (Colossus), among others.
MEGHAN MARKLE GETS MARRIED … IN SUITS: Weh-weh. In a new promo for Suits, Meghan Markle marries her TV husband Patrick J. Adams. USA Network is sharing a glimpse of the long-awaited Mike and Rachel wedding, which will take place in the Suits Season 7 finale, weeks before Markle marries her Prince IRL. Both Mike and Rachel are leaving the show, and the finale serves as a backdoor pilot for a spinoff starring Gina Torres. The Suits two-episode season 7 finale airs Wednesday, April 25 beginning at 9/8c on USA Network.
AMAZON GREENLIGHTS GILLIAN FLYNN BOOK: A U.S. adaptation of Utopia, written by Gone Girl author Gillian Flynn has been given a nine-episode straight-to-series order by Amazon. It will be the first overall TV deal she signed with Amazon. The U.S. version will be based on the 2013 British series of the same name.
CANNES ADDS LARS VON TRIER, TERRY GILLIAM, MORE FILMS: Cannes has added several films to its 2018 lineup. They include: Lars Von Trier’s The House That Jack Built, Kevin Macdonald’s Whitney Houston doc Whitney, Terry Gilliam’s The Man Who Killed Don Quixote and Fahrenheit 451 by Ramin Bahrani. Cannes runs May 8-19.